The Electra In Me by Originaljaime: Book Review

A melody with a meaning hidden in its notes creates a story, whether it is read or sung. In the curious case of Electra Sparks and Brayden Haynes, the shift of an airplane sparks unspoken lyrics to an aria at the beginning of their tuneful journey. Their songs are not complete without the pedal notes of a favor to an honorable friend, the brass of a mischievous little brother, the clash of jealousy, the lightsome flash of unexpected humor, and the underlying countermelody of guarded inner secrets.

Follow the descant of Electra Sparks, a musical student with a truly dazzling knack for kindness, as her gracile life takes the shape of a meaningful melody. A demure heart, too big for her chest, and a level of intelligence to match, Electra improves her musical abilities in the setting of DREAM Conservatory. Brayden Haynes, a famous heartthrob, has an innumerable amount of passion for music. His interesting tall height and observant blue eyes, search for the one component missing to his song. Electra Sparks, offers a surprisingly perfect resolution with her own melodious beauty.




Winning first place in the teenfic category of The Stellar Awards 2018Originaljaime's The Electra In Me doesn't disappoint avid teen fiction readers. If you're tired of the typical Wattpad story of a nerd and a bad boy, this is the book for you. 

As I had mentioned in my earlier review, The Stellar Awards is a yearly competition that opens every May, enabling writers to showcase their talents. Holding eleven genres and thirty slots, only three winners are selected. It goes by the following criteria; book cover & other graphics (ten points), plot (twenty points), characters (ten points), writing style (thirty points), and grammar, punctuation & tone (ten points). 

Here I have a complete (and more edited) chapter one and two review of OriginalJaime's The Electra In Me.
                      


                      
COVER
score: 9/10

                      
I recall creating a cover for your story back in the past, from Graphic Shoppe.  But even if my cover wasn't the one you were currently using, I found it beautiful. I love simple things, because they are just so elegant, and I truly wished more people saw the beauty of minimalism. Great job!


The Electra In Me by Originaljaime
This graphic belongs to its rightful owner. 





CHARACTERS
score: 8/10
               
Electra Sparks. Just with the name, I can already see how unique the story is. Some people may not give much attention to this, but I like to remember the names. It's unique in a good way, and I love it because it shows how the author exerted effort. It lets the characters stand out -- especially because Wattpad is such a field of overused character names. 

I also have to go over the supporting characters! Valeria is such a cutie (hope that's a good thing haha), and makes a great roomate. Matt was also soooo adorable, I had such a vivid picture of him in my head that I wanted to squish his cheeks and hold his hand on the plane!






GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION, ETC.
score: 10/10

                      
Grammar, punctuation, spelling, tone -- these factors are what stood out from the other entries. Your chapters seem to be very well edited. Although it isn't perfect, I can see your determination, which is more important than anything else.
                   
Aside from that, I loveee your graphics! I would just get lost in the watercolor splashes of blue every time a new chapter would start.

Graphics belong to OriginalJaime

                 
And lastly, I have to tell you, I sooo love your playlist and quotes. There's Wildside by Sabrina Carpenter (I got addicted to that song so much last year), Never Grow Up By Taylor Swift (that song literally made me cry so much), and a quote from Princess Diaries! They're, like, all my favorite things combined in one. This wasn't included in the criteria, but I do want to say that I absoloutely love your music taste (:
            
      


                
PLOT
score: 19/20               
                      
This is what really boosted up the score, because there are so manyyy clichés on Wattpad, and yours was simply like a daisy in a field of roses. I'll admit that I do have a soft spot for such cliches (and I love reading them sometimes, as bad as that sounds), but professionally speaking, stories that are original are way better. 

You've incorporated music, which truthfully, already makes your story stand out from the crowd. There's the typical room mate, and the start of a first day at a new school, but it still isn't the usual nerd and bad boy story. (I mean no offense for other writers here, I'm just stating things about cliches.) You had stated in your author's note that it had cliche moments, but I think it would be pretty much overlooked due to the unique storyline you've got going on.

    

        
STYLE
score: 24/30
                 
Your style was awesome, and with a little more practice, it can get even better than it already is. There were some parts where I felt that the sentences needed more spicing up, and sometimes the sceneries needed more description (ex. How Electra was so quick to board the plane. A little more description could do). 
                   
But in totality, I think it's really an amazing story!





OVERALL
score: 70/80

                      
Overall, your story is amazing. I just have a few suggestions, which I had mentioned in the earlier parts of the criteria. You did an amazing job, and hope you update your book soon!



end of review





Thank you for entering The Stellar Awards 2018, and don't stop writing. To anyone here in the blog, check out The Electra in Me. Originaljaime's interview will be up as soon as possible, so stay tuned!


(Graphics and Descriptions belong to their rightful owner, OriginalJaime)



                  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graphic Shoppe

Originaljaime : The Interview

Utterly Impossible